7.03.2017

Kid's Menu - spaghetti napolitan

The first time I heard of this dish called "spaghetti napolitan" in the Japanese TV drama "Quartet," I kept thinking I had never seen this dish in my Italian cookbooks! Why does Napoli have its own spaghetti dish? Later I realized it is really a Japanese dish, made with ketchup instead of fresh tomatoes. Blasphemous? Yes it is, but my kid loves it anyway.

My son and I went to school today only finding out it was CLOSED! So I stayed home, watched him and made lunch out of nothing. Ketchup, olive oil, salt, pecorino cheese, cherry tomatoes. He finished it without wasting any time. #sebastianapproved

Updates 9/29: 
I found out the Italian tomato sauce thing is called tomato sauce, marinara sauce, neapolitan sauce, pomodoro sauce, etc, depending on where you are from. The most famous San Marzano tomatoes are from the region of Naples, thus the connection to Neapolitan style. And then there is an imitation of the sauce using ketchup in Japan and Hong Kong, and this style is called Napolitan in Japan.

沒有留言: